Respite workers allow family members the opportunity to take a break from their caregiver responsibilities by providing appropriate care and supervision of the TCRC authorized client (child or adult) in his/her home.
On-call respite workers are available for all families with full-service authorizations. They have the flexibility to accept or decline any request, by time, day or location preferences. Requests for services are initially referred to Respite, Inc., which in turn provides contact information to one or more selected on-call workers so an orientation may be scheduled.
Designated respite workers are hired by the parents/guardian, but are paid through Respite, Inc. as a third party payer, insuring standard payroll procedures are followed and that federal and state deductions are paid. The family and their worker(s) make all service arrangements.
- CPR/First Aid training
- Disability related experience and/or training
- Clear a criminal history background check *
- Provide personal and/or professional references *
- Be physically capable of performing tasks
- If applicable, hold a valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance
* transportation of a client is prohibited while providing respite services
- Have an Emergency Contact Information form before providing respite
- Obtain written instructions if oral medication is to be administered during family members’ absence
- Log any changes noticed about or related to the client and/or his/her environment
- Report any concerns to the program coordinator (written follow-up may be necessary)
- Keep all client and family information confidential
- Know that work hours vary and there is no provision for overtime pay
- Maintain and submit timesheets
- Participate in special needs related training, at least annually
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) waive the background check and/or reference requirement when designating a respite worker.
Payment for service dates older than 45 days are delayed two or more paydays so earlier prior months can be processed through TCRC’s Purchase of Services Dept. Depending on the number of older service months submitted, payments will be made incrementally until the balance has been paid.
PAYMENT IS ALWAYS LIMITED TO THE NUMBER OF HOURS AUTHORIZED FOR THE FAMILY/CLIENT BY TRI-COUNTIES REGIONAL CENTER. AN AUTHORIZATION WITH UNUSED HOURS CORRESPONDING TO THE SERVICE DATES SUBMITTED BY A RESPITE WORKER MUST BE IN PLACE FOR THAT RESPITE WORKER TO BE PAID. HOURS CAN ACCUMULATE DURING ANY QUARTER OF THE FISCAL YEAR AND BE USED IN LATER MONTHS
HOURS SUBMITTED WHEN THERE ISN’T AN AUTHORIZATION IN EFFECT, AND/OR THE NUMBER OF HOURS EXCEED THOSE AVAILABLE WITHIN THE MONTH OR QUARTER, WILL NOT BE PAID. MILEAGE IS ONLY PAID AND LIMITED TO THE NUMBER AVAILABLE WHEN A MILEAGE AUTHORIZATION IS PROVIDED BY TCRC. RESPITE AUTHORIZATIONS CAN CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.